Wednesday, January 4, 2012

my blog, my place

image via chpsauce


Hilary wrote this post a while ago, and as soon as I read it I sent a link to myself to write about when I had the time to do so. It really resonated with me, because she's a blogger I look up to and she has the same feelings as I do about a particular topic...

Which is blog jealousy.

I follow a lot of blogs, and I'm continually in awe of the lifestyles that these women get to lead. Gala Darling runs around in glittery Louboutins and clown around with Betsey Johnson, The Glamourai has the most amazing, gorgeous apartment ever, Naomi at the Rockstar Diaries has a picture-perfect family, Color Me Katie pretty much lives in a rainbow...

Eventually, in true woman fashion, I end up comparing myself to them, and find myself coming up lacking.

I have a full-time job that doesn't have a lot of freedom for creativity (or even moving away from my desk for more than a couple minutes at a time!), so I can't devote as much time as I'd like to cultivating the type of blog I'd like to have. I don't have a lot of money to spend on clothing and accessories and makeup and vacations (though my boyfriend would surely disagree on the makeup thing, considering my collection). I don't even have Photoshop anymore to make my blog more unique and pretty.

Not to mention...I'm not always a super-positive, love-everyone kind of girl. I have my darker moments, and I tend to be a snarky asshole more of the time. I'm not a jerk, or a bad person, but I'm never going to be a super-sunshine-happy-time type of blogger, either.

Which kind of makes me feel like a failure.

But then I thought, why? Why am I comparing myself to these women when it comes to my blog? My blog. A blog shouldn't be tailored to other people, a blog should be a piece of the internet dedicated to you and what you love. And that's something I really need to remember; Viva La Genesis is supposed to be my happy place, my sounding board, a place where I feel safe and at home and happy, because that's what I want you all to feel when you come here.

Consider it another resolution for 2012: Keeping the spirit of Viva La Genesis alive. Blogs should be as unique as their writers are. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment